Play Therapy Pre-Certification
Information and Application Materials
It's through play that children are best able to form therapeutic alliances, express themselves, relate to others, learn new knowledge and skills, boost their egos, master stress and develop their sense of self. In order to promote the value of play, play therapy, and credentialed play therapists, the Counselor Education Department at Northwest Nazarene University is increasing the availability of play therapy instruction, application and research in this specialized area.
The goal of this post-graduate play therapy pre-certification program is to present a state-of-the-art academic rigor that will survey latest advances and developments in the field, including the three main pillars of therapy: theory, research and practice. An experiential component throughout the emphasis will focus on basic play therapy skill development within the context of ethical and diversity-sensitive practice and supervised clinical applications will be gained through a structured lab component.
For more information on the play therapy program at NNU, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to satisfy its mission to promote the value of play, play therapy, and credentialed play therapists, the Association of Play Therapy (APT) wishes to increase the availability of play therapy instruction at colleges and universities. The courses in this emphasis area provide students with learning opportunities related to the essential elements and principles of play therapy, including history, theories, modalities, techniques, applications and skills. An experiential component will focus on basic play therapy skill development within the context of ethical and diversity-sensitive practice.Classes
- COUN6541 Pre-Practicum: Basic Counseling Skills (3)
- COUN7510 Play Therapy I: History, Ethics and Systems of PT (1)
- COUN7511 Advanced Play Therapy I: Contemporary Theory and Research (1)
- COUN7512 Advanced Play Therapy Techniques and Practice I (1)
- COUN7513 Advanced Play Therapy Techniques and Practice II (1)
- COUN7514 Clinical Application in Play Therapy I (1)
- COUN7515 Clinical Application in Play Therapy II (1)
- COUN7516 Play Therapy II: Childhood Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment Planning, and Parent Consultation
- COUN7517 Advanced Play Therapy II: Contemporary Theory and Research
- COUN7518 Sand Tray and Sand Play
- COUN7519 Filial and Family Play
- COUN7561 Practicum in Counseling (3)
- COUN7589 Internship in Counseling (2)
Professional Development Courses
Our Play Therapy courses are in preparation of certification as a play therapist. To register for the Professional Development Courses you must have already earned your Masters Degree. Go to www.nnu.edu/cereg to register.
NNU's Adventure Play Therapy Center (Center) has earned designation as an approved Center of Play Therapy Education by the Association for Play Therapy (APT). Read More